Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Graduate Research Assistant will work with a Fred Hutch scientist to refine computational research questions and develop analytical processes that can be applied to single-cell genomics datasets. The successful candidate will work with a diverse group of technical staff and bioinformatics specialists to support the wide-ranging genomics data analysis needs of Fred Hutch faculty and staff. The bioinformatics analyst will be responsible for working on a variety of bioinformatics analysis projects including on method development; executing, improving, and developing informatics pipelines based on evaluation of computational tools and reference databases; and conducting and reporting data analysis using principles of good statistical scientific practice and reproducible research.
- Communicate with researchers and identify appropriate bioinformatics tools to meet the needs of proposed research projects
- Develop, test, and implement standardized analytical pipelines to support common and developing single cell and bulk genomic assays (e.g., scRNAseq, scATACseq, bulk RNAseq, ChIPseq, SNV/CNV) including long-read sequencing data.
- Provide support to Fred Hutch statisticians, bioinformaticians, and computational biologists working with genomics data
- Work closely with Genomics staff to bring new instrumentation online, implement new analysis workflows, and maintain laboratory operations
- Participate in weekly staff meeting to discuss ongoing projects and provide advice and support to colleagues
- Provide figures & written sections describing methods and results for manuscripts, presentations, and grant applications generated by Fred Hutch researchers
- Degree/working on a degree in computer science, bioinformatics, biology, genetics, or related discipline with significant computational emphasis
- Proficient with Linux/Unix shell scripting (primarily bash) and possess strong programming skills in Python and R. Knowledge of Rust or C++ a plus
- Self-motivated, perform in a highly independent manner, and possess strong interest in the biological sciences
- Solid communication skills (both verbal and written) and organizational skills are essential, as is the ability to be creative in problem-solving situations
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $65,484.00 to $100,000.00 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.