Research Specialist (Molecular and Cell Biology) - Feng Lab
University of California, San Francisco
Department of Radiation Oncology
The Feng Laboratory at the University of California, San Francisco is seeking to recruit an outstanding candidate to fill a Specialist position at the Junior, Assistant, or Associate Level.
Research in the Feng Lab focuses on (1) identifying molecular drivers of prostate cancer pathogenesis, (2) understanding the mechanisms that contribute to disease progression and metastasis, and (3) developing novel therapeutic strategies. Our lab utilizes cancer genomics, cell biology, CRISPR and small molecule screens, and mouse modeling approaches to answer fundamental questions underlying prostate cancer biology, with the goal of translating discoveries from the lab into the clinic. We work collaboratively with basic scientists, computational biologists, pathologists, and oncologists at the UCSF Helen Diller Cancer Center. Please refer to fenglaboratory.com for additional details.
The role of the Specialist is to both assist with ongoing experiments and, depending on the candidate's skill level, conduct independent research under the guidance of Dr. Feng and other members of the Feng Lab. The Specialist will learn and utilize a variety of research techniques and have the opportunity to be a co-author on publications.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Performing a range of molecular biology techniques, including molecular cloning, DNA and RNA isolation, and protein expression analysis.
* Performing flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry experiments.
Performing knock-down experiments using shRNA lentiviral infection and CRISPR-based techniques.
* Performing gene transfer studies using lentiviral infection of human cell cultures.
* Culturing primary human organoids and established human cancer cell lines.
Assisting with mouse colony management, including breeding, weaning, tagging, and PCR genotyping.
* Conducting xenograft studies and pharmacologic experiments in mice.
Assisting with lab maintenance duties.
* Applicants need to be self-motivated, fast learners, critical thinkers, and enthusiastic about science and medicine.
* Applicants need to work well as part of a team and have outstanding written and oral communication skills.
* Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 4 years of relevant research experience.
* Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess a master's degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 5 years of relevant research experience.
* Specialists appointed at the Associate rank must possess a master's degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 5-10 years of relevant research experience.
* Prior independent research experience in molecular and cellular biology or tumor immunology.
* Experience with flow cytometry, mass cytometry (CyTOF), and/or immunohistochemistry.
* Experience with molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, cell culture, CRISPR/Cas9, qPCR, confocal microscopy, and/or managing a mouse colony.
* Preference for the Junior Specialist position may be given to applicants interested in pursuing a biomedical sciences PhD or MD/PhD.
Salary and appointment will be commensurate with the applicant's experience and training. This position is available immediately. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04292. Applicants' materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.