Senior Research Programmer Analyst (Remote Option)
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: HRC1025676
Highly qualified candidates, residing in California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Colorado, Minnesota, Florida, and Georgia, will be considered for remote work. You must be a resident of one of these states to be considered for remote opportunities
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
The Smidt Heart Institute reflects Cedars-Sinai's steadfast dedication to heart disease and research innovation giving patients access to the highest level of care. Year after year, thousands of people trust their hearts to Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai. Our cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and specialized care teams treat the full spectrum of heart disease and disorders, while our investigators continue to advance the field with groundbreaking, life-saving research. From genetic counseling and targeted drug therapies to a growing array of minimally invasive procedures, Cedars-Sinai continues to stand at the forefront of technology, innovation and discovery improving patient outcomes.
Join our team and use your skill with an organization known nationally for excellence in research!
The Senior Programmer Analyst is involved in all aspects of analyses conducted within the Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai and provides technical expertise in a variety of areas. The Senior Programmer Analyst performs analyses on sophisticated problems, both statistical and from a data management perspective. Manages and develops study databases for analyses use, often working with sophisticated file structures, and serves as a resource to users of the databases. Verifies study results in draft abstracts, manuscripts, and presentations and clear documentation of all projects.
Crucial job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Upon being assigned a project by the study coordinator/investigator, takes full responsibility for the project including working directly with the investigator to clarify the project specification, discussing appropriate methods and tools for the analysis, providing advice on data issues, and making relevant suggestions, when needed. Independently finishes the aspects of the project efficiently with high quality in a timely manner.
2. Writes original statistical programs for sophisticated analyses for papers, abstracts, and presentations, working with researchers and statisticians, including writing, testing, and debugging programs. Provides accurate documentation for these programs to help others to readily check, rerun, or update them by including file and program locations, and program annotations.
3. Responsible for developing, cleaning, preparing, and managing study databases for analysis use, organizing, and managing study database archives, and providing detailed documentation for databases. Makes suggestion for improving data structure and documentation. Serves as a resource for investigators and other programmers of the use of data. Prepares data subsets and derives new variables for analyses for researchers, students or statisticians, advising study personnel.
4. Creates well-documented tools, such as SAS macros, shell scripts, or S-Plus/R functions, which can be used to improve the efficiency and quality and to reduce the difficulty of the work of others in the Smidt Heart Institute. Tests and debugs existing tools for accuracy and applicability.
5. Independently verifies draft of papers, abstracts and presentations including checking of results, sample sizes, data derivation, dataset preparation, statistical programming, and detailing the process. This may require full reproduction of all statistical analyses, including writing new programs. Consults with original programmers, statisticians, other data analysis staff, and/or researchers as appropriate. Suggests possible fixes if needed.
6. Keeps study coordinator/project manager/investigator routinely advised of requests received, work progress and completion of work. Asks for help and information where appropriate.
7. Learns about and applies the resources both within the analysis group (other programmers, analysts, data managers, researchers, codebooks, manuscript files, locations of data, procedures, software, etc.). While keeping up with assigned work, serves as a lead resource for other members of the group and the department in areas of study, programming, software, or other expertise.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field preferred.
5+ years of experience leading application design, software development, and maintenance. Required.
Programming experience with proven statistical knowledge and analytical skills. Experience with a higher-level programming language is preferred. Experience with UNIX environment is preferred.
Technical capability for anticipating and resolving problems. Ability to write succinct and coherent explanations of sophisticated technical procedures.
Demonstrated experience using various programming and scripting languages.
Working Title: Senior Research Programmer Analyst (Remote Option) Department: Heart Institute Operations Business Entity: Academic / Research Job Category: Information Technology Job Specialty: Software/Application Development Position Type: Full-time Shift Length: 8 hour shift Shift Type: Day
Providing healthcare for more than 100 years, Cedars-Sinai has evolved into one of the most dynamic and highly renowned medical centers in the world. Along with caring for patients, Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. This attracts exceptional talent to Cedars-Sinai, including world-renowned physician-scientists who seek a place where they can both conduct research and see patients--the ideal formula for discovery and its translation into cures. Our patients benefit from access to doctors at the top of their fields, and our researchers have an ideal community in which to study the impact of healthcare challenges, and reflect that knowledge in their research. The greater Los Angeles area in which Cedars-Sinai resides possesses unparalleled cultural and ethnic diversity which offers outstanding opport...unities for translational and clinical research and a dynamic environment for medical education.Although community based, Cedars-Sinai is a major teaching hospital affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Cedars-Sinai has highly competitive graduate medical education programs in more than 50 specialty and subspecialty areas, a graduate program in biomedical sciences and translational medicine, a clinical scholars program directed towards junior physicians with aspirations to become clinical scientists, and post graduate training opportunities.There are more than 250 full-time faculty members at Cedars-Sinai. The voluntary medical staff, comprised of more than 2,200 specialty board-certified or board-qualified physicians, represent all of the specialties and subspecialties and collaborate with full-time medical staff in the teaching responsibilities of the graduate medical education programs.