Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
This research opportunity is with the McElrath Lab within the Vaccine & Infectious Disease Division. The technician will work under the direction of the Molecular Profiling Team manager and laboratory personnel in support of the antigen-specific B cell platform to help with the characterization of antigen-specific B cell receptor repertoires in the context of HIV vaccine trials. In particular, they will assist in developing and implementing high-throughput B cell receptor sequencing assays, including BCR PCR, Illumina NGS library preparation, CITE-seq, micro neutralization screening, PCR cloning and transient transfection for monoclonal antibody production and functional screening of these monoclonals. They will also be responsible for performing a variety of molecular and cellular biology techniques including multiplex PCR, single-cell RT-PCR, digital droplet PCR, maintenance of feeder cells under aseptic conditions, and RNA/DNA isolation. They will be involved in data management, interpretation and reporting on experimental results and assist with data presentation for lab meetings, conferences and manuscripts. This person should be capable of maintaining detailed laboratory records, analyzing data, and reporting experimental results. They will interact closely with other laboratory staff to coordinate both up and down stream processing of samples and they need to a be a good team player. They will assist in the development and maintenance of laboratory quality control (QC) methods and records, which may require adherence to GCLP (Good Clinical Lab Practice) standards.
- Perform molecular biology techniques: isolation of RNA/DNA from human lymphocytes for downstream analysis, gene expression by high density multiplex PCR, RT-qPCR, RNA-Seq, RT-PCR amplification for targeted amplicon sequencing of B cell receptor genes (paired and unpaired), including indexing and library preparation for NGS Illumina platform, antibody cloning and purification, monoclonal antibody production by transient transfection.
- Perform tissue culture techniques: maintenance of cell lines including frozen inventories, transduction of feeder cells with retroviral and lentiviral vectors, virus neutralizations, cytotoxicity assays, in vitro cell manipulations, including peptide stimulations and co-cultures.
- Perform immunochemical assays such as ELISA, BLI and Western blotting.
- Operate and carry out basic maintenance and QC of laboratory equipment.
- Perform and/or optimize new assays and specimen processing methods as needed.
- May prepare stocks of HIV pseudoviruses for downstream neutralization.
- Prepare and maintain reagents, stocks, and cultures necessary to perform the work.
- Independently collect and analyze data.
- Drafting, editing and revising SOPs (standard operating procedures) in support of new experimental designs and laboratory operations.
- Other duties as directed by supervisor, including conducting literature reviews to assist in determining most suitable methods to be used in research, collect, analyze and assist in preparation of data for oral and written presentations.
- BA/BS in a scientific field is required. Must have have scientific knowledge in the area of study and basic laboratory skills.
- Research Technician II: Minimum of 3 years research laboratory experience.
- Research Technician III: Minimum of 5 years research laboratory experience.
- Great attention to details, well-organized, self-motivated, and able to efficiently manage time and experiments.
- To be successful in this position, the technician must have scientific curiosity, a high level of self-motivation, the ability to take instruction and correction and to follow directions, good organizational skills, the ability to work and think independently, but also be a team player.
- Show initiative and be willing to take up new laboratory skills, and communicate well with other members of the research team. Strong skills in data collection and laboratory record keeping are mandatory. Computer skills and experience with statistical analysis and data presentation are desirable.
- Applicants must be willing to work with biohazardous/infectious agents (e.g., bloodborne pathogens, including HIV-1) under carefully controlled conditions and be flexible to work some evenings and weekends.
- Independent research experience in addition to school lab experience is preferred.
- Preference towards experience in molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, digital droplet PCR, NGS library preparation experience, aseptic tissue culture techniques, bacterial cloning and protein expression systems, neutralization assays, ELISAs.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Research Technician II: The hourly pay range for this position is from $24.96 to $35.53 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Research Technician III: The annual base salary range for this position is from $64,233.00 to $96,349.00 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (22 days per year), paid sick leave (up to 30 calendar days per occurrence of a qualifying reason), paid holidays (up to 13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 12 months for professor track faculty, up to 6 months for other scientific staff).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.