A junior or assistant specialist opportunity is available at the University of California, San Francisco in the Sheng laboratory (shenglab.ucsf.edu). The Sheng lab is part of the Department of Radiation Oncology.
The Sheng lab performs a wide range of medical research, including treatment planning for radiotherapy, image acquisition, reconstruction, and processing.
This junior or assistant specialist will assist in medical physics and engineering research to develop novel image analysis methods. Specialist responsibilities include data collection, management and preprocessing. They will work closely with other lab members, participate in lab meetings, and perform other duties as assigned. They will be expected to conduct data analyses and prepare for presentations at lab meetings and journal clubs. The specialist will join a multidisciplinary team of physicists and scientists in the Department of Radiation Oncology.
The specialist will also be encouraged to take advantage of other training and learning opportunities within the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and other related entities at UCSF. We hope this experience will prepare the applicant for future opportunities in biomedical physics.
* Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a B.A. or B.S. (or equivalent) in physics, engineering, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, computational biology, mathematics, or a related quantitative/scientific discipline.
* Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a master's degree or a baccalaureate degree with 3 or more years of research experience.
* Basic programming training
* Strong problem-solving skills
* Strong communication and writing skills
* Experience with data science and machine learning
* Experience developing experimental and analytical plans
* Prior research experience
Applicants must meet all required qualifications by time of hire. Applicants' materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04461
See Table 24B (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t24-b.pdf) for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $49,000-$63,000.