Location: Bronx, New York
Type: Full Time
- Oversee the specifications, design, development, and implementation of informatics-based systems for multi-center research protocols that enable research staff to conduct research both individually and collaboratively across Institutions.
- Assume responsibility for our Data Coordinating Center to oversee the execution of all data management needs across multiple centers for multiple projects and program all quality assurance processes.
- Oversee the entire software development and implementation process.
- Analyze protocol requirements, and apply advanced bioinformatics concepts to design, develop, modify, debug, and evaluate highly complex software programs and web tools which provide operations management for epidemiological, clinical, genetics-based and lab-based projects.
- Collaborate with Principal Investigators in defining the scope of data management requirements and associated bioinformatics data analyses.
- Provide review of system design and development at EISMU
- Independently implement data analysis algorithms and integrate them into a broader data management strategy for complex research projects
- Provide clear documentation of systems. This includes both internal code-related documentation and external user documentation
- Provide technical training to co-workers and outside personnel in the development and subsequent use of informatics based systems.
- Recommend and implement changes in development, maintenance and system standards for analysis algorithms, tools, and infrastructure
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging computational methods and technologies.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports and scientific publications
- Test new and updated software or tools and provide feedback to developers and third party vendors.
- Responsible for producing appropriate internal technical and external user documentation for systems developed and lead software rollouts.
- the development of all technical documentation and training manuals for developed systems.
- Responsible for ensuring that all developed products meet state, federal and sponsor requirements for data security including the guarding of PHI data.
- Work with third party organizations to implement data integration processes. Act as the point of contact for principals at these organizations to establish data integration requirements, assess and implement quality assurance processes and conduct the design and implementation of robust and secure systems for the timely transfer, harmonization and integration of data from and to these outside organizations.
- Investigate new technologies and implement best practices for leveraging available technologies and design and development approaches that enhance systems robustness, security and maintainability.
- Provide statistical and analytical services for transforming data obtained from a wide variety of sources into high quality data sets in order to ensure correct and high quality interpretation of the data.
- Work directly with Principal Investigators, Project Managers and members of the EISMU technical team.
- Have an expert understanding of Relational Databases utilizing tools such as SQL Server, MS Access and associated technologies
- Ensure all designed systems will maintain compliance to appropriate standards and will maintain confidentiality with regard to information being processed, stored or accessed.
- Implement system applications at the different sites. Coordinate software implementation with IT staff at participating sites and hospitals.
- Conduct analyses of epidemiological study data for data quality control and publication of study findings
Experience and Educational Background - List both the minimum requirement for hire (degrees, licenses, years of experience) and the preferred or optimal background to succeed in this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Biology/Mathematics or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience in software development and bioinformatics,
- Expertise in the development of informatics based systems utilizing Microsoft technologies including SQL Server, .net and Sharepoint.
Skills and Competencies - Describe the critical skills and proficiencies necessary to succeed in this position (e.g., technical skills, communication / writing skills, etc).
- Programming Languages: Java, SQL, C#, HTML, CSS, PHP, .NET, SAS, VBA
- Databases: SQL Server, MySQL
- Mobile Development: Android
- Tools: Eclipse, Android Studio, Visual Studio, Active Directory, GitHub, Junit Testing
- Ability to evaluate business needs, interact and proactively shares information with internal and external contacts where appropriate
- Excellent communications skills including superior writing skills, and oral and visual presentation skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, meet deadlines, adjust priorities and handle new requirements as they arise
- Ability to keep all parties regularly involved in all relevant decision making and abreast of changes to deliverables and project schedules
- Experience in the use of Extract, Translation, Load tools such as SQL-Server Integration Services (SSIS) a plus
Minimum Salary Range
Maximum Salary Range
The Software Developer will report directly to the Director of the Epidemiology Informatics and Study Management Unit. This person will lead a team in the design and development of secure and adaptable research-based informatics systems that are used to acquire, transform, analyze and disseminate research data.