Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Research Technician in Dr. Harmit Malik's Lab in the Basic Sciences Division of our Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center Site in Seattle, WA. It is ideally suited for someone comfortable with genetics, microbiology, and molecular biology techniques who wants research experience before they go to graduate school (a PhD program), although applicants with all levels of research experience are encouraged to apply. The focus of this position is to study the cell biology of chromosomal and extrachromosomal inheritance using a budding yeast model.
To apply, please include a CV, college transcript, and ~1 page cover letter including the following information:
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What do you want to learn from this job?
- Why do you think you would be a good candidate for the position?
- What potential start dates would work for you?
- What are your long and short-term career goals (including your ideal time frame for the next stages in your career)?
- This position will help to establish a research program focusing on extrachromosomal DNA in yeast and mammalian cells. The work will involve routine handling of bacterial and yeast cultures, mutant strain construction, extensive molecular biology (e.g. molecular cloning, DNA extractions, sequencing), whole-genome sequencing, and presentation and organizational tasks.
- Secondary responsibilities include lab management (e.g. maintaining media stocks), ordering scientific lab supplies, and maintaining equipment.
- Based on the interest and ability of the technician, they may also be solely responsible for the development and execution of independent, small-scale research projects. Successful projects in which the candidate participates may lead to authorship on scientific publications.
- Will participate in lab meetings, including presenting their own data
- Will perform experiments and/or experimental analysis for most of each workday
- Will perform independent and guided reading into relevant topics for the project
- Will keep a strong lab notebook and communicate experimental plans/issues
- Education requirements: a bachelor's in biology or a related discipline in a laboratory environment, or equivalent in education and experience.
- Required in the applicant:
- Must be highly interested in basic or curiosity-driven biological sciences
- Must exhibit a meticulous attention to detail
- Must be independent and motivated to think, plan, and conduct experiments
- Must have strong organizational skills in recordkeeping, multitasking, prioritizing responsibilities, and time management
- Must have basic computer skills (PC or Mac)
- Must be willing to interact with all levels of staff and contribute to lab environment
- Preferred but not required skills:
- Specific experience with DNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis, molecular cloning, transformation, aseptic technique, and yeast laboratory techniques
- Experience in fluorescence microscopy and cell biology techniques
- Coursework or laboratory experience in microbiology, evolutionary biology, or bioinformatic
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $21.56 to $30.69 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.