Location: Houston, TX, United States,
Special Instruction to Applicants: Please attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application.
The Laboratory for Synthetic Macromolecular Assemblies (PI: George Lu) at the Rice Bioengineering Department has an opening for a research technician position. The lab leverages synthetic biology to develop new technologies for cell-based therapies, sustainability engineering, and biomanufacturing. The ideal candidate for the position will have a strong interest and background in molecular cloning, and microbial and/or mammalian cell culture. The candidate is expected to have strong communication, organizational, and independent working skills, and ideally, have the motivation to pursue a future career as a researcher in graduate school.
Rice Bioengineering is one of the top biomedical engineering departments with its graduate program consistently ranked among the top 10 in the country, and the lab is well funded by awards from NIH, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, Welch Foundation, Dunn Foundation, and Mathers Foundation. The recruited research technician is expected to work alongside PhD students in the lab on various research projects.
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- Five years of related experience in research lab or equivalent positions
- In lieu of the experience requirement, additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis may be substituted
- Skills Required
- Knowledge of genetic engineering, synthetic biology and/or cell cultures
- Ability to independently design and evaluate synthetic biology experiment
- Familiarity to the current literature in the field of molecular genetics, biochemistry, and cell biology
- Enthusiasm to work in highly collaborative and diverse environment and interact with industrial and academic collaborators
- Possess a logical and independent mind
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication, analytical, and research skills
- Excellent scientific and numerical skills with meticulous attention to details and accuracy
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software, Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in relevant math and research skills
- Ability to conduct evaluate and analyze data
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and/or infection control standards
- Designs and develops genetic circuit and engineered circuit for basic research, cell-based therapies and material science applications
- Evaluates, optimizes, and validates the design of engineered cells with experimental data
- Collects, tracts, and analyzes data through the use of spreadsheets and databases
- Communicates results through verbal presentations, written reports, and written articles submitted for publication in conjunction with PI
- Prepares procurement requests and orders materials and supplies, manages samples and stocks database, sets-up and manages experiments, and maintains research results for publication
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in biochemistry- and bioengineering-related field
- Related experience in molecular biology, cell biology, and routine biochemistry lab experiments
- Demonstrated leadership skills and commitment to a career as a researcher
About George R. Brown School of Engineering
The George R. Brown School of Engineering ranks among the top 20 of undergraduate engineering programs (US News & World Report) and is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff and students in an inclusive environment
We seek greater representation of women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans in disciplines in which they have historically been underrepresented; to attract international students from a wider range of countries and backgrounds; to accelerate progress in building a faculty and staff who are diverse in background and thought; and we support an inclusive environment that fosters interaction and understanding within our diverse community.
Rice University HR | Benefits
Rice Mission and Values
Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies