Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
Nabet Lab Research Tech I-II Posting, Cancer Chemical Biology
The Nabet laboratory is seeking a bright and highly motivated Research Technician I or II to provide high-level technical support for ongoing research efforts. The goals of our research program are to develop strategies to target cancer drivers by controlling protein homeostasis to gain new biological insights into clinically relevant targets and to advance new therapeutic strategies in cancer. The Nabet laboratory develops and deploys innovative chemical biology technologies such as the dTAG system to rapidly eliminate target proteins for therapeutic target discovery and validation (Nabet et al., Nature Chemical Biology 2018; Nabet et al., Nature Communications 2020). The Nabet laboratory is highly collaborative and works extensively with medicinal chemists to develop inhibitors and degraders for cancer drug targets (Ferguson and Nabet et al., Nature Chemical Biology 2020; Li et al., European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2022). We are committed to supporting the next-generation of scientists and believe in collaborative science (Nabet, ChemBioChem 2021). This is an exceptional opportunity to join a new team that is pushing the boundaries of cancer chemical biology.
Fred Hutch offers great benefits and highly competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
We are seeking candidates to contribute to both conceptual and technical aspects of the project with the ability to work independently and part of a dynamic team. The candidate will develop engineered cancer model systems and evaluate small molecules in these models as well as assist in lab managerial duties including the set-up, operation and maintenance of laboratory instruments and equipment. The candidate will become involved with all the steps of research being completed by the group and will have the opportunity to present their research during meetings and be involved in the publishing of scientific abstracts and papers. The experience gained in the laboratory will be useful for pursuing diverse careers including those as a researcher or physician.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Cell and molecular biology techniques including western blotting, immunoprecipitation, cloning, PCR, qPCR, sterile tissue culture, virus preparation, DNA/RNA isolation, CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome editing, flow cytometry, and cell sorting.
- Murine modeling work including animal handling, compound administration, and dissection.
- Use computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics, or high-technology applications to perform work duties as well as equipment that requires setup, calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Analyze and interpret experimental data and summarize findings for presentations, grants, pre-prints, and publications.
- Provide intellectual and interactive commitment to the position by keeping up with appropriate literature and research publications.
- Monitor and order supplies for the lab.
- Maintain organized and complete lab records and inventories.
- Research Technician I minimum qualifications: BA/BS in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or related fields is required. Must have scientific knowledge in the area of study and basic laboratory skills. Independent research experience in addition to school lab experience is usually necessary.
- Research Technician II minimum qualifications: Intermediate level position requiring 2 years previous experience working in a laboratory and BA/BS in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or related fields. Independent research experience outside of laboratory coursework is usually necessary.
- At least a two-year commitment is preferred.
Desired qualities and skills
- Highly motivated and intellectually curious.
- A solid background knowledge in cell and molecular biology and/or cancer biology.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Experience with standard laboratory techniques such as tissue culture, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, extraction and analysis of DNA and RNA, PCR, and cloning.
- Experience in bioinformatics and/or mouse modeling is a plus.
- Ability to maintain an organized laboratory notebook and computer files with a working knowledge of data management, word processing, and graphic software (e.g. Microsoft office, Graphpad/PRISM) is preferred.
Please apply by submitting your resume and a brief letter of intent (less than one page) summarizing your interests and experience. Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment: Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; ORInitiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider's certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for the I position is from $21.56 to $30.69 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
The hourly pay range for the II position is from $24.96 to $35.53 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.