Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: HRC1224644
The Applied Genomics, Computation & Translational Core is looking for a Biomedical Specialist to join the team!
The Cedars-Sinai Applied Genomics, Computation, and Translational Core (AGCT Core) is a fully equipped, state-of-the-art genomics facility offering data generation and interpretation for basic science and translational research in next-generation sequencing technologies, including single cell omics, spatial transcriptomics, and bulk cell omics. We specialize in single cell omics and spatial transcriptomics via the 10x Genomics, Parse Biosciences, Mission Bio, and NanoString platforms. Our R&D team offers sample preparation for single cell assays, such as nuclei isolation from frozen tissue or single cell isolation from fresh tissue dissociation. The AGCT Core also offers comprehensive services for standard bulk cell sequencing in genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, and metagenomics.
The AGCT Core’s mission is to make complex next-generation sequencing technologies accessible and biologically interpretable for basic and clinical research scientists. We enable investigators with little experience in sample preparation, quality control, or analysis to interrogate the genome, transcriptome, epigenome, and metagenome. To facilitate this, we have developed complete wet-lab and bioinformatics analysis pipelines to accommodate standard needs and enable most genome-wide investigations. For more sophisticated or custom designs, our R&D team offers collaborations to facilitate investigations. To learn more please visit https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/research/cores/genomics.html.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Genomics Core Biomedical Specialist performs DNA/RNA isolation from different sources including cells, tissue, FFPE curls and scrapes, and blood, as well as understands and performs the full NGS workflow, including DNA/RNA quant and QC analysis, manual library preparation, library quant and QC analysis, sequencing on the Illumina platform, and sequencing metrics analysis. The Biomedical Specialist will maintain accurate and up-to-date electronic documentation using an electronic lab notebook, project management software, and laboratory information management system, and manually prep libraries of bulk cell, single cell, and spatial omics, including transcriptomics (RNA-Seq), genomics (WGS/WES), epigenomics (WGBS, ATAC-Seq), and metagenomics (16S/ITS amplicon sequencing, shotgun).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train, guide, and supervise a team of junior associates.
- Train and supervise junior associates on Next-Generation Sequencing experiments, procedures, and day-to-day service request fulfillment and lab operations.
- Effectively communicate needs and requirements to junior associates as required for the management of service requests and day-to-day lab operations.
- Manage junior associate performance, mentor and coach, and seek opportunities to help them grow and become their best.
- Assign service requests to junior associates and ensure their proper execution and successful completion.
- Ensure the availability of all required resources for the execution of service requests.
- Liaise with investigators regarding service requests.
- Participate in the planning, execution, and troubleshooting of service requests.
- Provide research and input on new technologies and assays for testing to possibly develop and implement new service offerings.
- Execute or manage the execution of projects testing new technologies, assays, or kits.
- Analyze, summarize, and present findings at monthly R&D meetings.
- Assist with the implementation of new technologies, assays, or kits into new service offerings by writing and reviewing standard operating procedures, service guidelines, and staff training guides, and training junior associates.
- Receive, store, and document samples.
- Attend meetings and seminars/webinars as assigned.
Bachelor of Sciences in Genetics, Genomics, Molecular Biology, or Biological Sciences is required. Master's degree is preferred.
Experience & Skills:
- Two (2) years of laboratory experience are required. Five (5) years is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience performing NGS library preparation in bulk cell genomics, transcriptomics, and metagenomics.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the operation of Illumina sequencers and Agilent Technologies fragment analyzers.
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory and training experience.
- Experience in single cell NGS assays and cell biology is preferred.
- Critical analysis, problem-solving, troubleshooting, multitasking, time management, following through tasks with details, working independently with minimal supervision.
- Interact with professionalism with teammates, peers, researchers, investigators, and support staff of diverse backgrounds and educational levels.
- Respond to rapidly changing priorities and exceptionally diverse demands through constant interruptions in a fast-paced laboratory environment.
- Must be self-motivated, take initiative, enjoy learning, and willing to take on new challenges while independently executing new or unusual and complex technical procedures and protocols.
- Work cooperatively with other personnel as part of a team to accomplish daily and weekly goals.
- Proficient in PC (or Mac) skills as well as demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Biomedical Specialist - Applied Genomics, Computation & Translational CoreDepartment:
BMS - Bioinfo & Func GenomicsBusiness Entity:
Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterJob Category:
8 hour shiftShift Type:
$71,300.00 - $110,400.00