O'Farrell Lab - Full Specialist
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
UC San Francisco
The successful candidate will manage and execute a basic research program exploring the mechanisms regulating the onset of gene expression that accompanies the initiation of embryonic development. This research explores how transcription of genes is coordinated with cell cycle and developmental events, and probes fundamental mechanisms controlling the timing and specificity of transcription. The candidate will be expected to conduct research independently, chose appropriate methodologies, design controls, and analyze data, manage data, prepare drafts for publication, and present progress at conferences. The project will include Drosophila genetics, embryo collections, embryo injections, fluorescent microscopy mouse breeding, FACS sorting of single cells, and single cell sequence analysis of mitochondrial genomes, informatics/sequence analysis, cell culture and the general tools of molecular biology.
- Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
- Knowledge and experience with genetics, molecular biology, and developmental biology.
- Evidence of successful research experience, such as published papers in reputable journals.
- PhD degree
- Familiarity with fluorescent microscopy and real-time imaging.
- A working knowledge of Drosophila biology, including familiarity with Drosophila genetics, culturing and embryology.
- Working experience with CRISPr methodologies.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
See Table 24B (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t24-b.pdf) for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $83,100-$173,900.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04451 with a cover letter, CV, statement of research, and contact information for two references. In the cover letter, please indicate long term career goals. Applicant materials must list current qualifications upon submission. The selected candidate must meet all of the qualifications at the time of application.