Location: Joplin, Missouri
Internal Number: R-0001978
The Research Associate contributes to the advancement of the university by ensuring high quality outcomes in our research endeavors. The Research Associate assists in running the laboratory at the MSSU-KCU Research Consortium. The Biomedical Research Laboratory (BMRL) supports basic and clinical research that investigates complimentary and integrative health care approaches. By blending studies that use conventional biochemical, sociological, osteopathic and mind-body intervention principles together in an interdisciplinary way, the MKRC is uniquely positioned to succeed in improving the well-being of the people in the Four State region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in running the laboratory
- Performs experiments for research activities
- Performs support functions for Next Generation Sequencing experiments and downstream bioinformatics applications associated with oral microbiome metagenomics
- Participates in mentoring students in research
- Represent department and the University favorably and in accordance with established Core Values and expectations
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the organization and department
- Manage research projects and scholarly activities
- Support faculty research projects through implementing experimental design, analyzing the data, accomplishing literature searches, manuscript writing and poster preparation
- Manage the research laboratory or office including coordinating research students and managing research equipment
- Required to utilize their specialized academic training to conduct intellection work that routinely involves exercise of discretion and judgment, specifically in conducting and providing support for research projects and analyzing the research's outcome
- Maintains materials on Learning Management System and research website as needed
- Bachelor's degree plus 2 years equivalent experience working in a biomedical research laboratory; Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge of Next Generation Sequencing Technology preferred
- Must possess working knowledge of research and experimental protocols
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Ability to analyze a situation and exercise good judgment and discretion as appropriate
- Must have effective communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to work with faculty and staff
- Must have excellent organizational skills be detail-oriented, and a self-starter
- Requires the ability to attain deadlines and complete assignments accurately
Equal Opportunity Employer
KCU is committed to promoting an equal employment opportunity workplace. Equal opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information (GINA), physical or mental disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, ancestry, military and/or veteran status, and/or any other status protected by applicable Federal, state or local law.
Annual Security Report
KCU is committed to providing a safe campus for students, faculty, and staff. Our annual campus security report lists campus crimes and statistics for the campus and public areas around campus for the last three years, in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.
Thank you for your interest in a career at KCU!