Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: HRC1192180
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
The Smidt Heart Institute reflects Cedars-Sinai's steadfast dedication to heart disease and research innovation giving patients access to the highest level of care. Year after year, thousands of people trust their hearts to Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai. Our cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and specialized care teams treat the full spectrum of heart disease and disorders, while our investigators continue to advance the field with groundbreaking, life-saving research. From genetic counseling and targeted drug therapies to a growing array of minimally invasive procedures, Cedars-Sinai continues to stand at the forefront of technology, innovation and discovery improving patient outcomes.
Join our team and use your skills with an organization known nationally for excellence in research!
We are looking for a Research Associate to join the laboratory under the direction of Dr. Eduardo Marbán and Dr. Ahmed Ibrahim. The Research Associate will provide technical support related to the preparation and analysis of laboratory specimens and conduct laboratory research under the direction of Dr. Ibrahim and his research staff studying engineered non-coding RNA. Dr. Ibrahim is particularly interested in the translational application of this biologic, namely in ameliorating systemic sclerosis (SSc). Asides from the translational application, he is also interested in investigating the mechanism by which RNA biologics signal to diseases tissue to attenuate SSc disease manifestation.
Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate will perform Ssc-specific animal studies to evaluate the efficacy of different doses, formulations, and other iterations of the therapeutic to support transition to clinical evaluation. These include collecting functional data from animal models including weight, exercise capacity, echocardiography, among others. The Research Associate will also perform routine molecular biology and biochemistry assays including immunohistochemistry, microscopy, western blots, ELISA, and histology and data analysis and management. Ideal candidate would be an independent, science and meticulous individual with animal model and mammalian tissue culture experience.
The individual will be encouraged to function efficiently as an individual and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research scientists and associates. Excellent written and verbal communication and coordination of experiments and preparation of data for publication will be encouraged.
Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping laboratory notebooks, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments will be required. In addition, the individual will order supplies and maintain inventories, prepare chemical solutions, and culture media, maintain general lab cleanliness, and perform other work-related duties as assigned. Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Managing rodent animal studies pertaining to Ssc models including initiating the study, collecting functional readouts, collecting tissue, and sample preparation.
• Preparation of research grade therapeutic RNA formulations for in vivo and in vitro testing.
• Making detailed observations, planning, and assisting with data collection, data analysis, writing and disseminating production results.
• Preforming a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects.
• Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
• Participating in weekly lab meetings and reporting data results.
- Bachelor Degree required, Bachelors in Science Related Field preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications, Graph Pad Prism, and Image J.
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Familiar with routine research procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Working Title:
Research Associate I - Smidt Heart Institute - Marban/Ibrahim LabDepartment:
Heart Institute OperationsBusiness Entity:
Academic / ResearchJob Category:
Research Studies/Clinical TrialsPosition Type:
8 hour shiftShift Type:
$18.00 - $29.87