Wadsworth Center, NYS Department of Health, Newborn Screening Program
Location: Albany, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $97826 to $120492 Annually
Dependent upon the initial assignment or subsequent reassignment of this position satisfactory background checks may be required. Additionally, exposure to potentially hazardous substances may be involved with this position; the selected candidate may be required to wear personal protective clothing and equipment, and may undergo pre-employment and/or periodic health evaluations and receive specific immunizations.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
Internal Number: 14663
The Research Scientist 4 will provide programmatic oversight of the administration and operation of the Newborn Screening Program. This position will ensure adherence to regulatory requirements and develop plans for continuous quality improvement based on data and program priorities. The candidate will ensure accurate result reporting, implement screening for new conditions (test development, and validation), explore new testing technologies, seek extramural funding and write manuscripts. The candidate will also perform some regulatory functions for the Genetic Testing Section, including review of Certificate of Qualification applications, external biochemical genetics validation packages and applications for restricted permits.
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor's Degree in a Natural Science and five years of professional post-degree research experience in the appropriate field; or a Master's Degree and four years of such experience; or a Doctorate in the appropriate field and two years of such experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Doctoral degree in Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or similar; Board Certified / Eligible (American Board of Medical Genetics) and/or holder of a NYS Certificate of Qualification in Genetic Testing. Testing and experience in a clinical genetics laboratory.