The newly constituted Stem Cell Program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Heersink School of Medicine and O'Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center is seeking a Scientist in the areas of genome engineering and functional genomics.
The research groups in the UAB Stem Cell Program draw from a palette of technologies including CRISPR genome editing, high-throughput methods for functional genomics, epigenomic profiling, and single-cell genomics to tackle important questions in stem cell research to accelerate understanding of human health and disease.
In this role, the Scientist will develop and incorporate cutting-edge molecular and biochemical protocols to drive diverse projects in the field of functional genomics. The position provides competitive package and significant potential for individual growth.
- To employ a broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures in a particular field of specialization.
- To plan, design and conduct research and present findings.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to conduct experiments involving CRISPR gene editing, high-throughput functional genomics in human cell lines and primary cells, and epigenomic profiling assays.
- Collaborates with users and principal investigators on design, analysis, application and reporting of research projects. Teaches and advises on techniques.
- Operates, maintains and teaches students, post-doctoral fellows and research staff to use sophisticated equipment to conduct CRISPR gene editing, CRISPR screens, epigenomic profiling, analyze data and report findings.
- Interprets, organizes, executes and coordinates scientific research assignments concerned with unique or controversial problems.
- Formulates and conducts systematic problem analysis and resolution in an area of considerable scope and complexity through series of complete and conceptually related studies or through a variety of projects of lesser scope.
- Develops model concepts and approaches as an individual researcher and acts independently on technical matters.
- Supplies technical leadership and consultation to professional co-workers, collaborators and graduate students.
- Prepares analyses, reports and other documentation for publication.
- Presents findings at local, national and/or international meetings.
- Prepares grant proposals to obtain funding in support of research activities.
- Manages and oversees research laboratories.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment and/or systems.
- Keeps up-to-date on advances in the field by reading the literature and developing new assays.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary Range $74,100.00 - $120,700.00 Annually