USCâs Keck School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, has a Research Lab Specialist position available in the laboratory of Dr. Rongfu Wang in the Department of Medicine at USC. Dr. Wangâs laboratory has discovered many immune targets, and used them for developing for vaccines, CAR-T and TCR-T cell immunotherapy.Â The focus of Dr. Wangâs laboratory is to develop cancer vaccines and immunotherapy, in particular CAR-T and TCR-T cell therapy and elucidate the mechanisms that are responsible for T cell persistence and trafficking, and for immune resistance to immunotherapy. Various technologies, including molecular biology, immunology and epigenetics, are used to address these important issues.
The ideal candidates should possess excellent communication and writing skills. Job duties for this position include:
1. Plans and conducts highly technical and complex research projects, procedures and analyses. Supervises other research personnel in procedures, techniques and use of equipment as needed.
2. Operates and maintains sophisticated laboratory/scientific equipment. Designs, creates or adapts equipment and procedures to meet specific research needs.
3. Checks lab inventory, requests quote, and orders lab supplies.
4. Contributes to the development and implementation of laboratory procedures and policies.
5. Evaluates research data requiring significant knowledge of a specialized area of research. Maintains accurate records. Prepares technical reports and papers.
6. Supervises laboratory staff and student workers. Participates in recruiting and hiring of staff. Trains and provides technical guidance as needed. Schedules, assigns and prioritizes work. Monitors and evaluates employee performance and counsels or disciplines as needed.
7. Advises on acquisition or enhancement of specialized equipment and laboratory setup or design.
8. Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources and background information in area of specialization to enhance planning and design of experiments.
9. Stays current in field of specialization through coursework, reading journals and scientific papers, maintaining professional networks and attending seminars and conferences as appropriate.
Prospective candidates should be highly motivated, enthusiastic about science, with an ability to think and plan project experiments. Candidate should demonstrate good organizational skills and be able to work in a team environment. Candidates with molecular biology and immunology are strongly encouraged to apply.Â
Job responsibilities include:
Preferred Education: Masterâs degree
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Preferred Experience: Evidence of work experience, peer-reviewed publication(s), project development
Preferred Field of Expertise: Molecular biology, immunology, T-cell biology and immunotherapy
Percentage of Time: 100%
The annual base salary range for this position is $67,436.81 - $.75,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâs work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: Related graduate study, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum educationMinimum Experience: 5 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise: Directly related education and experience in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods and ability to supervise on a regular or project basis
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations.
As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.