The University of Alabama at Birmingham and the Department of Biomedical Engineering is seeking a self-motivated researcher to work on the funded project to identify novel compounds with desired binding activity for protein targets, ability to activate relevant cellular responses, and synergy with other binding compounds for wanted cellular activities. The identified top drug candidates will be further investigated with in vivo studies and dish-based clinical trials using iPSC technology for the therapeutic outcome studies. We also investigate protein-protein interactions and small molecule-target protein interactions and how these are changed by disease-associated genetic variants to gain insights for the mechanisms of action.
The candidate could gain additional computational biology training, if interested.
Working with a high degree of independence and as part of team:
- To oversee projects within the laboratory
- To assume responsibility for the day-to-day operation of lab activities.
- To collect, enter, summarize, analyze, and interpret data.
- To contribute significantly to the planning/design of studies
- To help develop long or short-term goals.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees projects within the laboratory and assumes responsibility for the day-to-day operation of lab activities.
- Contributes significantly to the planning/design of studies.
- Develops and documents standard protocols including lab safety.
- Collects, enters, accurately records, summarizes, analyzes, and interprets data.
- Monitors results, detects, and reports unusual outcomes, develops modifications, and provides data to management.
- Participates and helps develop long or short-term goals or strategic business objectives.
- With direction, contributes to grant proposals and assists in the preparation and editing of grant applications and manuscripts.
- Supervises lab equipment and supplies, including lab ordering and inventory.
- Uses advanced knowledge of lab practices to direct and teach others.
- Trains incoming students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary Range $47,486.40 - $85,000.00 annually