Responsible for management and maintenance of the Aquatics Laboratory. Oversee the care of the zebrafish colony and conduct molecular genetics work. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Oversight and management of aquatics facility *Direction of facility and compliance policies related to animal facility *Management of facility equipment and water quality *Maintenance of animal colony and facility equipment *Supervise and train animal care workers *Oversee breeding and fish husbandry *Manage phenotyping and genotyping lab stocks
2. Laboratory management *Manage lab workers *Maintain lab equipment *Purchase supplies and maintain purchasing records *Maintain stocks of lab supplies *Prepare stock solutions of buffers and chemicals
3. Carry out molecular biology research projects *Perform and analyze experiments *Purify DNA, RNA and proteins from cells or tissue *Conduct PCR and gel electrophoresis *Complete immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization procedures
4. Manage and oversee lab safety and American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (IACUC) protocols *Track and enforce lab safety measures *Ensure lab personnel are up-to-date with animal training *Ensure easy access to safety equipment, eye wash and shower *Ensure work spaces are neat
5. Coordinate activities *Organize fish room and molecular biology lab *Train students to feed fish and clean tanks *Train students for preparation of reagents for research *Train students with molecular biology experiments *Schedule weekend and holiday fish care responsibilities
Position Number: S73810
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
This position works with minors
This position has fiscal or financial responsibilities other than employee expense activity, such as processing or approving transactions; monitoring or preparing budgets; or generating income for University
Will often be required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, lift up to 10 pounds, work near moving mechanical parts, in wet or humid non-weather conditions, in areas of risk of electrical hazards
Occasional weekend hours will be necessary; flexibility to adjust weekly work hours is a requirement of this position
Bachelor's Degree in Molecular Biology is preferred or the equivalent combination of education and experience
One to three years related work experience
Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
Experience collecting data
Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Excellent organizational skills, time management and attention to detail
Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and a high degree of initiative for bringing tasks to completion
Works well with in a collaborative team environment
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.