The laboratory of Dr. Guangyong Peng in the Division of Infectious Disease, Allergy and Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, at Saint Louis University has an immediate opening toÂ play anÂ activeÂ role in our ongoing studies of tumor immunology and immunological aging. The Peng laboratory has been performing the translational studies to dissect molecular mechanisms responsible for the senescence and dysfunction of T cells in different diseases, including cancer, chronic inflammation and age-related neurological disorder, and Â then to develop effective strategies for molecular and metabolic control of T cell fate and function for disease prevention and immunotherapy. Highly motivatedÂ and passionate researchers with a M.D. or Ph.D. degree andÂ rigorous training inÂ immunology, cancer biology, or neurological pathology are preferred for the positions. Furthermore, the candidates should have experience with immunology and are comfortable working with mice and/or patient samples. In addition, candidates with research experience with bioinformatics and next-generation sequencing are preferred but not required.
1. Designs and performs research studies including technique optimization, assays (behavioral, pharmacological, biochemical, histological, molecular, etc.), data collection and analysis.
2. Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports; verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
3. Authors articles and abstracts; performs literature reviews; leads collaborative preparation of manuscripts and providing of figures for grants; contributes to the intellectual community of Saint Louis University by presenting in journal clubs and research fora, and presents his/her research both within Saint Louis University and beyond.
4. Develops, optimizes, and provides technical training and ongoing guidance to research projects; solves practical problems relating to difficulties with equipment or test subjects; suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
5. Manages and coordinates activities of a busy laboratory, including scheduling, checking inventory, arranging purchases, and evaluating and maintaining common equipment in the research lab areas beyond those of his/her immediate team; helps ensure the laboratories are current with animal and environmental health inspections and assists in writingÂ IACUCÂ andÂ IRBÂ protocols for ongoing and future studies.
6. Oversees and trains other lab members; delegates tasks; monitors progress of research assistants and student workers to ensure that all work is conducted in a timely manner and complies with the highest standards for research ethics and scientific rigor.
7. Serves as a liaison to other research groups to facilitate collaborations within and beyond Saint Louis University; performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Saint Louis University(SLU) is a private, co-educational Jesuit university located in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Founded in 1818 by the Most Reverend Louis Guillaume Valentin Dubourg SLU is the oldest university west of the Mississippi River. The University has campuses in St. Louis, Mo. and Madrid, Spain. SLU values academic excellence, life-changing research, compassionate health care, and a strong commitment to faith and service. For nearly 200 years, the University has gone beyond teaching facts and figures, encouraging students to form ideas and identities. Today, SLU students are nearly 14,000 strong. The University has invested vast resources to advance academic programs and enhance the student experience. SLU also is a major research institution where premier researchers tackle local and global challenges. And the University's commitment to community service has earned it national acclaim and bolstered its status as a character-building college.