60 million adults in the US experience mental illness in a given year. The Neuroscience Department with Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is dedicated to discovering and developing groundbreaking therapies for serious diseases of the nervous system. This is an opportunity to create and advance life-changing therapies for patients suffering from psychiatric disorders.
There is "No health without mental health."
The Head of the Psychiatry Research Unit will serve as the single point of accountability for research in this area, reporting to the Global Head of Neuroscience.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop a robust portfolio of preclinical programs focused on psychiatric disorders grounded in human genetics and human clinical evidence, using the multiple modalities available to Novartis and ranging from exploratory to clinical proof-of-concept (PoC)
- Collaborate with the Neuroscience Leadership Team (NSLT) to refine and execute on Novartis' Psychiatric disorders strategy
- Lead a world-class research team of ~15 scientists to identify and validate new therapeutic approaches based on cutting-edge human and preclinical data
- Lead research teams from early target discovery to IND to create a seamless, innovative and industry-leading pipeline from idea to clinical development
- Manage and mentor research teams as well as project leaders, focusing on Novartis' values and culture to most effectively develop talent
- Lead NIBR's external and internal innovation in the psychiatry research space. Partner with Business Development and External Innovation to identify external opportunities
- Work effectively with the Head of Neuroscience disease area and Translational Medicine Lead to ensure timely and seamless transition to clinical proof-of-concept for each program
- As a member of the NSLT, provide guidance on overall strategy and drive scientific and operational integration with other NS research units.
- Communicate & champion psychiatric disorders strategy & portfolio priorities to all levels of the organization within and outside of NIBR, as well as externally to Novartis