Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $40,352 or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: Due to increased demand for bioinformatic support, we invite applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow in Bioinformatics and Agricultural Genomics. The successful applicant will work on projects aimed at understanding genomic and epigenetic mechanisms of production and disease related traits in livestock. This position will work with Dr. Brenda Murdoch to develop tools, pipelines, and analysis techniques to process and analyze data generated from high-throughput sequencing, high-capacity genotyping and other emerging high-throughput genomics/genetics techniques. Dr. Murdoch welcomes applications from individuals wanting to join a productive and well-recognized genetics lab. The position is highly collaborative in nature; therefore, strong communication skills and willingness to work with a diverse team is essential.
Minimum Qualifications: PhD in Animal Genetics or Genomics, Bioinformatics, BioStatistics, or related discipline. - Experience in scientific programming or equivalent education and experience.
- Experience with computer languages commonly used in scientific programming (C/C++, Python, R, similar languages).
- Experience with UNIX/Linux environment.
- Experience with common high-throughput sequencing data, analysis strategies and software tools.
Preferred Qualifications: - Experience with phylogenetics, genome mapping, variant calling, genome-wide association studies marker assisted selection, using high-throughput sequencing data.
- Experience with agriculturally relevant high-throughput sequencing studies, databases, and analysis.
- Flexible and Professional attitude towards working hours.
- Excellent ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to take direction and work efficiently and effectively within a team environment, as well as independently.
- Ability to attend to detail and organize workload to complete complex tasks in a timely manner.
- Work well with people from various organizational/academic disciplines and with people who have varying degrees of technical experience.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP002740P
Posting Date: 03/12/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: Please note:
Up to two (2) candidates will be hired from this posting.
First consideration will be given to applications received by Sunday, March 28, 2021.
In addition to the online application, resume/cv, and unofficial transcripts, individuals should submit a letter of qualification.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your Letter of Qualification must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.