The Financial Associate is a member of the OEB Financial Operations team, which facilitates day-to-day procurement and financial operations for faculty, staff, researchers and students in OEB, the Museum of Comparative Zoology (MCZ) and the Harvard University Herbaria (HUH). This position reports to the OEB Manager of Financial Operations.
· For an assigned portfolio of labs and administrative units, and following established guidelines and business processes, prepare, review and authorize sponsored and non-sponsored financial transactions, including, but not limited to, purchase requisitions, reimbursements, payables, miscellaneous receivables, internal billings, and credits.
· Interpret University's spending, payment, tax, travel and reimbursement policies and confirm transactional compliance with same, including ensuring business purpose and account allocations are in keeping with Uniform Guidance and other University financial accounting policies and guidelines.
· Advise customers on selecting the most appropriate method to procure goods/services and assist with those processes; serve as an expert source of information on Harvard/departmental fiscal policies, procedures and systems and provide guidance and training as necessary.
· Monitor, research and resolve issues with financial transactions, including, but not limited to, tracking receiving and unpaid commitments.
· Prepare and process journal transfers to correct errors and reconcile funds; assist with year-end close transactions and monthly account review and reconciliation.
· Assist with updating/documenting local purchasing and payment related business processes/guidelines.
· File transaction documentation in accordance with University policy and local procedures and assist with local storage/archival processes.
· Prepare ad-hoc financial reports, prepare periodic financial summaries, complete special financial operations projects and contribute to other unit goals as required.
In order to be considered for this position, a resume and cover letter must be submitted. Since this position requires extensive written communication of complex financial policies, the interview process will include a short writing exercise.
Harvard University will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
***All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
OEB is a diverse and vibrant department with a broad range of research and teaching interests, ranging from the evolution and control of gene expression patterns within individuals and populations to the dynamics of ecosystems. Field and laboratory studies are key to understanding the evolution of organisms, how biodiversity is generated and maintained, how organisms work, and how organisms interact with their environment. OEB has close working associations with its allied institutions: the Museum of Comparative Zoology (MCZ) and the Harvard University Herbaria (HUH), as well as the Arnold Arboretum and the Harvard Forest. These institutions and their collections offer an unparalleled, rich set of resources for OEB students, faculty, visitors and staff.
FAS is committed to cultivating not only the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students but also in developing an inclusive culture that is vibrant, engaging and encouraging of innovation as well as intellectual debate. We believe creating and maintaining an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe an inclusive culture is one that accepts, values and views as strength the difference we all bring to the workplace. We encourage our community members to participate in our FAS Diversity Dialogues.
Salary Grade: 054
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Minimum of 3 years of related experience in finance, accounting, or administration is required.
· Associates or Bachelor's degree preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to work collaboratively and build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization; ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
· Excellent consultative, problem-solving and customer service skills.
· Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
· Must be well-organized and able to adjust to shifting priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously under time pressure.
· Demonstrated ability to organize, present and communicate financial policies and concepts to a diverse range of audiences effectively, both verbally and in writing.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, intermediate Excel skills.
· Demonstrated experience with financial administration systems.
· Experience working in a complex academic environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 53277BR
About Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.