The Institute of Health Informatics (IHI) in the University of Minnesota is seeking a scientific programmer/data scientist to join Dr. Sisi Ma’s research team. Dr. Ma works on computational causal discovery and predictive modeling theory and method development. She also works on the application of these methods in biomedicine and health. This is a Researcher 5 classification position.
Conduct Analytical Experiments (60%)
- Construct datasets from various data sources for research. - Design and implement data processing and analysis infrastructure; Ensure the integrity and security of data, code, and analytical experiments.
- Design, setup and run computational experiments to evaluate and benchmark cutting-edge machine learning algorithms. - Design, setup and run computational experiments to execute algorithms on various types of biomedical or healthcare related data.
Algorithm Development (25%)
- Implement machine learning, statistical, data-mining, bioinformatics/clinical informatics algorithms. - Develop and modify software and demonstrations. - Create documentation for all software, code and experiments.
Publications and Presentations (10%)
- Write or help prepare technical reports and/or publications. - Communicate and present analytical results to customers, scientists and clinicians.
Mentor Junior Data Scientist (5%)
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
- M.A./M.S. in Computer Science/Math/Statistics/Physics/Informatics or related technical discipline with one or more years of research training in a research or technical environment - Experience with Matlab or Python or R. - Experience with SQL or other database technology. - Experience writing code for complex computer programs independently. Please provide a link to samples of your code available online (Github or similar services). - Experience with machine learning and statistical methods. - Demonstrated/documented strong communication skills.
- Experience working with messy real-world data - Experience in high-performance computing - Experience working independently and collaboratively in a rapidly changing scientific environment - Skills in data visualization - Research experience in statistics/data science/related fields - Experience publishing scientific papers in conferences/journals
Internal Number: 333485
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.